If you have a blog, website or online business you’ve surely heard about this magical thing called an email list. You’ve seen your Pinterest feed filled with gorgeous stock photography and bright text encouraging you to click with glittery promises of growing said email list.
But what if you don’t have one yet? What’s holding you back from taking that next step?
Maybe you feel like you aren’t 100% satisfied with the state of your website or you think you wouldn’t know what to say in an email newsletter.
I get it. I’ve been there! When I first started my wellness blog I was really nervous. Because I wasn’t just having a friendly conversation with a friend. I was putting myself out into the world. I hesitated for a long time about starting an email list. Part of me wondered “who am I to have an email list?”
At some point I finally had to make that decision between hiding in my cozy little corner of the internet where it was safe or stepping into the light.
I decided to be open and willing to put myself out there. And the response has been really rewarding!
The moral of the story is…don’t wait to start your email list until you think you’re ready because that day may never come.
Sometimes it seems like everyone else has got it all figured out. Everyone else has a beautifully designed blog. They’ve got their marketing plans and their perfectly-branded Instagram feeds. They’ve got an email list. With a million subscribers.
The key words here are “it seems like.” To quote my yoga teacher, “no one has their sh*t together all the time.”
I understand. It can be super intimidating to look around the online social landscape and feel like there is no place for you to fit in.
The truth is, there a spot in that landscape that is reserved just for you. That’s because no one has lived your experience. No one else can share a view of the world, through the screen of your life.
You have a message and there are people out there who would benefit from hearing that message.
If you give into that idea that everyone else has got it all together and you don’t, then you’re giving your power away. Keep your power, step into your truth and say what you want to say.
Know that you are worthy of being heard. It doesn’t matter what your website looks like. It doesn’t matter if you have a blog content calendar.
Ok I hope you’re as pumped as I am now about starting your list. But maybe you’re still unsure where to start. Here’s a few tips that I think will help you…
- Sign up for an email newsletter service. (I LOVE ConvertKit! Read my post about why I switched from MailChimp to ConvertKit)
- Add an opt-in form to your website. I recommend using a pop-up form as well as opt-in forms in the sidebar and footer. I’ve also found some great success with a recent experiment, adding a “welcome mat” to my wellness website.
- Add an incentive to your visitors. Offer something in return for their email address, such as a worksheet, guide, ecourse, ebook, etc.
- Set up goal tracking Google Analytics to see which forms/opt-ins perform the best.
- Spend a little time on outreach. Think about everyone you know, (friends, family, co-workers, people you met at a mixer last year) and write down the names of 10 people who you think would be interested in your message. Send them a quick email, telling them about your blog/business and invite them to join your list.
Do you need help creating a great opt-in incentive for your website?
That’s what I do! Get in touch and let’s chat about how I can help.